Sunday, May 23, 2010

Day 10

This morning I woke to very stiff and sore shoulders, upper back, and neck. It may have been the hook punches... but I'm more inclined to believe that it was due to rearranging all the furniture and other flotsam in my bedroom on Sunday. The sort of activity that almost inevitably awakens one to the existence of an otherwise forgotten muscle or three.

So I took a painkiller and hustled into the KFB workout. This morning was grey and rainy and I wanted to get a little running in so took myself to the gym. You know what they also have in my gym?

Punching bags. Long, almost floor to ceiling heavy ones, in a room with a wall of mirrors. And at 5 o'clock in the morning, no class is using that room. So I wandered in there to do my punches and kicks. Whereupon I learned a few things:

  1. my form is still pretty good (as in not bad, not that it was ever awesome)
  2. I can still punch with the proper two knuckles
  3. Those knuckles no longer have calluses. I might want to rethink the bag hitting
  4. The kicks are SOOOOOO much more satisfying against a target. Not only do I get to kick something, but I don't have to worry about hyper-extending myself kicking an imaginary target.
Because I was monkeying around at the gym, I didn't have time to do my stretching or meditation before booking it to work. But I'm kind of looking forward to doing them when I get home, to mentally and physically set aside work and step into my own time.

On an unrelated note:

We've all heard the drill - don't drink your calories. Which I'm normally pretty good about, except the occasional party and slightly less rare latte, but this will really open your eyes:

http://worldmysteries9.blogspot.com/2010/05/harmful-drinks-in-america.html


It boggles the mind to know (I didn't fact check this) that there is a beverage you can order, and (maybe - I don't think I could come close) completely consume that is 24 fluid oz (which equates to more than 1.5 pounds), is more than 2000 calories, and has enough saturated fat to be equivalent to more than 30 strips of bacon. Obviously, it would be hard not to know you were indulging while consuming, but still ....

Ewwwww!

3 comments:

  1. Later on I will have to try punching one of those bags!!

    I'm not so sure about calluses either...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see your point with the blog post you linked, but I also notice the post took a lot of heat from readers regarding the innacuries in it, so while we of the PCP know the harmful effects of what we eat, don't take that post as gospel. Thanks for the read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather - Nice Link. May not be 100% accurate but it's an eye opener to see that some fast food and beverage companies provide your daily caloric intake in a cup! Not just drinking your calories but drink your way to death...
    Another link provided by Gwen Bell: http://eatthis.menshealth.com/slide/worst-espresso-drink?slideshow=184612#title

    ReplyDelete