Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Day 13 - the need for sleep

Last night, desperately tired, I went to bed early and slept later than usual.

This morning I got up, feeling a bit better refreshed, and headed out to do my KFB workout. I showered, made breakfast and went to work.

Then felt like what I really needed was a nap. This isn't the first time it's happened, and I don't remember it happening when I was doing the PCP workouts. But, while the PCP workouts pushed my muscles, the KFB really takes the wind out of my sails (especially the kicks and punches). Hopefully I'll get acclimated to it soon. In the meantime, I think I might try scheduling a power nap before heading to work in the morning.

*******

One of the things I like learning while doing the PCP was the incredible not-value of comfort eating.

Unfortunately, while I've learned that it doesn't work, doesn't satisfy, and brings more negatives than positives ... it has not cured me of the desire for a quick jolt of comfort. And I have not yet identified a substitute for food. This might be because there are no short-cuts to happiness, but I'd still like something pleasant to turn to when the urge manifests. Maybe meditation. Maybe a walk. Anyone have any suggestions?


2 comments:

  1. I hear you girl. Today I wanted an entire loaf of bread at like, 11:00 pm (it's now almost 1 am - my semester grades are due in a few hours!).

    I could have done it. Just tore through that baguette like there was no tomorrow. But I read something on P's blog (when he left us for four days!!!) something about re-wiring the brain. Breaking habits.

    So, I just didn't do anything. I didn't make tea or whatever you're supposed to do to banish cravings. I suffered through and realized I just don't like grading. I didn't want bread, I wanted to be free of this drudgery!

    Sitting with the discomfort helped! I'll see what happens tomorrow...back to grading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I opt for a hot cup of tea sometimes, but I'm like you—I still reach for the food. I'm reading Geneen Roth's WOMEN, FOOD, AND GOD right now. I'm not sure whether I like the book, but she talks a lot about ending our need to comfort ourselves with food by facing whatever feelings are making us reach for it. That we'll never attain or maintain our natural weight until we do. Or like Shivani says, sit with the discomfort! I'm hoping meditation will help make that easier.

    ReplyDelete