Monday, May 17, 2010

Starting KFB

I was really excited to do the KFB when Patrick invited me - and excited to see how I would balance real life and what I learned from PCP before KFB began.

As circumstances had it, life blew me out of the water the day after PCP ended: my Dad had emergency surgery and was eventually sent home for Hospice care and died Mother's Day weekend. He had lived a good life (he was 86) and had been frustrated with limitations imposed by various physical ailments, but it's still sad, has taken a bit of the wind out of my sails, and leaves me feeling exhausted after 5 consecutive weekends spent driving home to Boston and back - a 600 mile round trip.

So, in a manner of speaking, KFB seems to have come at an ideal time:
  • when I'd already been thinking that I needed to do something to improve my flexibility,
  • when I need (and desperately want) to get back on a regular schedule of eating well and getting exercise after a few weeks where there wasn't time and my attention was entirely elsewhere,
  • when the prospect of getting my mental house in order and taking the time to slow down is unusually appealing
On the other hand, I was out of town for the first two days of the KFB and so am getting started late :(

Thoughts so far:

I may be over-thinking things, but I think that a video demonstration would help some of the dynamic exercises. I did the straight kicks like a Tang Soo Do Roundhouse kick, but on looking at the pictures again, they look more like a cross between a Tang Soo Do front kick (in which the pelvis faces forward, but which is a thrusting kick) and a roundhouse kick (in which the pelvis faces to the side, but is a swinging kick). I'm not sure if it matters for the purposes of the exercise, though ....

I have no idea what I should be stretching for the Rabbit stretch.

I like taking the time for stretching.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, Heather...you are so strong for choosing to do this during such a difficult time.

    You're a fighter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Heather, I'm sorry about your loss. I'm sending you a big hug and all my best wishes for you and your family.

    So good to have you here!

    ReplyDelete