Monday, May 24, 2010

Day 12 It's a Matter of Perspective

Perspective -

Every once in a while, I'll get a little nudge to remind me to keep things in perspective. This afternoon while preparing lunch at work, I was looking at it and thinking how non-PCP it was, and wondering/looking forward to/not looking forward to a more defined KFB diet, when a colleague came by and remarked how healthy my lunch was.

And it was. Not PCP stringent (salt, more carbs than PCP typically allowed, and enough avocado for me to feel indulgent), but a big arugula salad and smoked salmon and avocado on whole wheat is not un healthy. I have a tendency to set my personal bar ridiculously high, and then kick myself for not meeting my goals.

Well, duh. If your goal is perfection, you might want to get comfortable with disappointment.

Now I've personally come to the realization that I'm happier frequently falling short of impossible goals than feeling like a slacker for setting my sights too low by meeting my goals too often. You would think there would be a middle ground, but I haven't found it yet. But it's useful and good to get these reminders ever so often to re-ground my perspective.

**********
I'm feeling pretty whipped today. Last night I stayed up past my bedtime to see The Prince of Persia (fun, obviously not a groundbreaking film, but free and I don't want those hours back). But I still got up early to start my KFB workout and did the hard half (core, stretching, and meditation to go) and now ... want a nap.

2 comments:

  1. I think that hardworking people are often hardest on themselves. That's a good thing as long as you don't get too many bruises or broken bones/hearts. Aim for perfection in the long term and raise the bar slightly every time you succeed.

    I get so excited for movie versions of Video Games but they almost always make me weep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean, about feeling slack when I actually meet too many goals. Far off goals are the spice of life. But like a spice, too much of them and you'll ruin the meal.

    ReplyDelete