Sunday, June 13, 2010

Day 31 - Me and Discipline

I am finding it more difficult than I expected to totally get down with the KFB. I've had more days of falling off the wagon (both with the workouts and the diet) than I did with PCP.

I expect that it is mainly because I leapt from PCP to KFB with just a month between them, and that was a particularly trying time for me personally. I'm certainly enjoying parts of the KFB workout more than others:

  • I'll confess to skipping out on the skipping rope: I'm not a big fan, it's summer, I love running, I plan to run a marathon this fall, and I just don't have time for KFB and running. So I substitute.
  • Somewhat to my surprise ('cause I never used to enjoy strength training exercises, and this was what I at least in my head whined about the most) I like the pushups, the pull ups (well, trying), ab workouts, etc.
  • I expected to enjoy the stretching, as that was something I'd wished I had the time and dedication to do, but am frustrated to discover that I have a tendency to rush through them, and don't feel that I give them the attention I should. I'm not enjoying them as I think I could if I didn't feel so rushed
  • I expected to like the meditation - and I do - but I expected to be striving for a little more than 5 minutes. Yes, I know I can try more on my own - but see feeling rushed, above
  • I initially really enjoyed the kicks and punches ... and am disappointed that the charm has worn thin. Partly it's because they kick my ass, and who likes that? But I also think it's because I can remember how much more fun they were when not done alone, when done with a partner holding a punching bag. It just doesn't feel the same when done alone. (I'll also confess that today my "target" was a point on a punching bag - not a free swinging object. I know I'm cheating myself of the balance and eye-foot coordination practice, but I just knew it would take forever) I still like them once I get going, but am resistant until I actually get started.
Keep in mind that all this is seen through a stress-filter, and part of my frustration is because of feeling rushed ...

and this is also my fault:

  • Firstly, because I spend more than 6 minutes running - in essence having the dessert before the meal.
  • Secondly because I'm an idiot - on days when we're doing pull ups, I think "well, I'll do some dips too since I'm at the machine", on days when we do planks, I think "well, I'll do 30 seconds, or 45 seconds, or whatever" and so on.
Basically, I'm an idiot.

Today was a pretty good day, though.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you, sir, may I have another! I think it's cool that you're going above and beyond on some stuff. Ultimately, when this is all over, you'll gravitate to the things you do more of anyway b/c that's what you enjoy. I feel rushed too. I think the workouts are just really long. I'm trying to cultivate an attitude of having enough (esp time)...I'm not sure if it counts when I decide to do fewer sets so that I "have enough" time to take a shower....

    Good luck on your marathon training. That's pretty bad ass!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, I HEAR YOU. This is intense training and the fact that you just rocked the PCP AND started training for a marathon makes you 3 x a bad ass.

    Have you tried to break up the stretches? Sometimes one or two poses pre-workout is fun and necessary, and then you can get to your snack faster (seriously, my stomach grumbles as I kick).

    ReplyDelete
  3. it looks like you are making a KFB more to your taste, which sounds like indiscipline but it's another design possibility for this project.
    The beauty of this raw program is that we can contribute with our reactions to instructions.

    I'm also feeling the pressure of time. I like stretching a lot but sometimes I rush at the end or feel very tired so I want to finish and have breakfast.

    You are a tough girl! It's so cool to be here with you.

    ReplyDelete