Thursday, June 17, 2010

Day 34 - Tried ..and Failed

Last night I was up late, having gone to watch my colleagues play a softball game. Our team has been playing for a few years now and, to put it bluntly, we're terrible.

We haven't won a game this year, and we lost again last night. Which was disappointing as we were leading by 5 runs in the top of the last inning. I find it interesting to watch sports psychology work. I'd heard about it years ago, but had thought it was mostly hogwash until college, when I joined the swimming and diving team. It was startling to watch how at state meets either most divers had a great meet, or everyone fell apart. Like performance was catching. And perhaps this is why exercise is more enjoyable when done with a crowd ... misery loving company and a

Our softball team is really good at getting anxious and tense and consequently blowing it at the eleventh hour. And, of course, there are a couple of individuals to whom winning is more important than it should be (especially in light of our talents). But everyone stayed in reasonably good humor and the other team was nice (and had also been win-less, until we gave them the opportunity) so it was a fun evening.

But it meant that I got home late and tired - and that's when I'm most prone to stupid decisions. Like staying up late because I'm too tired to go to bed.

So this morning it took a Herculean effort to get out of bed, and a continual battle with myself to get dressed and start my KFB. And I was headachy.

I got maybe a quarter of the way through (aerobic - check. Strength - check) before the constant desire to just STOP and maybe sleep a little longer told me that maybe I was done for the day. For running, I have what I call the 10-minute rule: if I don't feel like running, I just get out there for 10 minutes and if I still don't want to run, I stop. It's a good way to test if my reluctance to get going is mainly inertia, real fatigue, or real aches. This morning I did nearly half an hour of working out before I finally threw in the towel.

I think it took me longer than usual to quit because I was reluctant to admit that I'd put myself in this position and not because I didn't recognize the signals I'd been receiving. So I'm swapping out Friday's light workout for today's.

Hopefully I'll be powered up again tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Remember a lesson from the PCP, it's on the days we feel the worst that our workout often has its best effect on us.

    ReplyDelete